One of the projects I’m currently working on is to create a new Intranet for Citrix. As part of that, we’ve started to discuss “what does it mean to be a citizen of a company?”
The students are exploring the theme of membership and presented their research findings this weekend.
Here are my key takeaways:
Varying Levels of engagement:
- Obligatory Membership v. Voluntary (e.g. draftees v. volunteers…however everyone is a veteran after returning home)
- In body or in mind (am I doing yoga for exercise or for the spiritual side; likewise I may be at work for the job, my career or as a calling … go read Chip Conley’s Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow)
How membership works:
- Rituals & Common Language (company acronyms, celebrations, etc)
- Support Network or family-like relationships (think buddy programs and mentoring)
- Defining who is “in” and “out” of the group
- Feeling like you are part of something bigger
- Sense of obligation; requirements to contribute
- Some groups are defined by a shared struggle or challenge (e.g., weight watchers)
- Leaving a group (alums)
Thanks CCA for the sparks!